ACTIONS FOR IMPLEMENTATION
Data, research and insights
- Establish fit for purpose data collection methodologies with sector organisations and government agencies to improve evidenced based decision making.
- Work with organisations to strengthen the consistent reporting of water related incidents, injury and hospitalisation.
- Establish and agree definitions and protocols around data capture and use. Establish data hygiene, sharing, management, privacy, data sovereignty, and ethical use.
- Use centralised data to develop evidenced based insights into water safety interventions.
- Develop appropriate prevention strategies in conjunction with public health officials and suppliers to the sector.
- Form a repository of Aotearoa New Zealand and international research on drowning prevention, water safety and water competency so that information is collected at a single point and is easily accessed and disseminated.
- Highlight data and research gaps. Undertake and fund culturally appropriate research that is prioritised and focused on key issues. Engage with the research findings to develop, implement and evaluate new initiatives.
- Promote the citing and use of Aotearoa New Zealand research both locally and internationally.
- Acquire new participation and other data sources for benchmarking and indexing risk and deriving insights.
CROSS SECTOR REFERENCE GROUP