ACTIONS FOR IMPLEMENTATION
Education and Training
- Develop an Under-Fives Action Plan including expanding existing initiatives and developing effective campaigns to improve whakapapa/ attitudes and beliefs, mātauranga/ the knowledge and tikanga/ behaviours of parents and caregivers.
- Make Water Skills for Life and water safety education an integral part of children’s and young people’s learning through the Health and PE Curriculum. Embedding programmes into environment, aquatic activities and sports related practices, to make water safety skills training fundamental to ‘real life’ experiences and to influence a culture change around water.
- Develop Māori water safety education programmes that reflect Māori values and aspirations and strengthen the connection to wai/water.
- Focus on reducing male drowning and improve decision making in the 15-34 age range.
- Implement programmes and provide tools that aid people’s awareness of the difference between their perceived competencies and actual competencies.
- Focus on reducing 50+ male recreational boating drownings via improved decision making and risk awareness.
CROSS SECTOR REFERENCE GROUP